Project Wonderful

Monday, April 1, 2013

Guardians of the Galaxy #0.1 (Marvel Comics 2013)


Guardians Of The Galaxy Issue #0.1
Published by Marvel Comics
Cover Price $3.99
36 pages, full color
April, 2013
Brian Michael Bendis - Writer
Steve McNiven - Penciler
John Dell - Inker
Justin Ponser - Colors

1990's Guardians Of The Galaxy
Well it's just as I predicted as soon as Marvel announced its movie for Guardians Of The Galaxy . . . they would release a new series about a year before the movie hit theatres and try to build an audience. I think everyone else predicted that as well. Now I don't have much knowledge of the team but I do remember the series from 1990 I think I read the first 12 issues of that before I fell out of reading comics for a while. The first thing that I thought when I heard about this movie was "who in the world is going to go see it? Nobody knows those characters who really isn't really into comic books. They are going to have to appear in Iron Man 3 or Thor 2 right?" Well I don't know what the plans are for that movie business but I do know that the characters in the current series are not the same characters that I remember from back in the early 1990's which is a bit of a disappointment and also seems that it will make it less likely that anyone will know them.

Enough of the movie and 90's let's talk about this issue. I picked it up because I was looking for a new title that I could review from start to finish and thought that this could be it . . . I don't know if that thought will be a lasting one. Marvel loves to do it's point one (0.1) issues which are usually used as a jumping on point for new readers that kind of give you some background of what is going on in the title and introduces you to a good bit of the cast. This issue did not deliver on that and what you end up getting is the basic origins of two characters and the death of another character. The issue isn't actually bad but it just felt like a money grab to me by Marvel and this issue could have been told in a few pages of issue #1.

The main point of this issue is actually to introduce you to Peter Quill who will become Star-Lord leader of the Guardians Of The Galaxy. (This next part will be as spoiler free as possible)You see his mother and fathers first meeting, you see Peter as a child and then an alien attack that Peter is able to stop when he finds a special weapon left behind by his father. The entire issue is really about one character in the group and that kind of turned me off on this book right away since this is a team book. You do not get introduced to anyone else on the team and only see them on the last two pages of the story where Iron Man also appears and apparently is on the team . . . oh yeah movie tie-in . . . uggghhhhh.

I like the art and the story isn't bad it just rubbed me the wrong way and I would have much rather had something else be the start of this title.

Stay tuned I have a review of Issue #1 of Guardians Of The Galaxy coming up and hopefully that will be a little more hopeful for the future of this title.

Thanks for reading,

Kevin P. Johnson

Copyright © 2013 Kevin P. Johnson
Images are copyright © 1990-2013 Marvel Comics are used as Fair Use Review images only. Images will be removed upon the request of Marvel Comics.

No comments: