Project Wonderful

Monday, May 9, 2011

Thor - The Movie


I just saw the Thor movie and I must say that I think it was really good and I fully enjoyed it. I think that most of comic book fans would agree that this movie was made as an into to the Thor character so that people would know him in the upcoming Avengers movie. This movie was so that Thor already have an established history on the big screen along with Iron Man, Hulk and Captain America (coming this summer). With Marvel leading the way on most of their movies these days Thor worked really well on the big screen.

Without spoiling the movie too badly Thor is to become king of Asgard when there is an attack by the Frost Giants. He takes it upon himself to enact revenge against his father Odin's wishes. Odin finds out about this and banishes a powerless Thor and his hammer Mjolnir to earth and he must find his way back to Asgard if only he can regain his power and lift the hammer.

The movie did a good job of including a fair amount of scenes on Asgard and Jotunheim (home of the Frost Giants) as well as earth to allow us to understand that there are more things out there besides us. The costumes looked great Thor looking like the modern comic book version (with a beard) and a lot of the characters kept a close look to the way that they appear in the comic books. Loki's helmet had the classic bent horns and that was enough comic book reality for me.

I think that they did a real good job of telling the story and it seems to me that it's pretty close to the way things happened in the comics (I haven't read the old stories in a long time). All the characters seemed to be playing the roles they were supposed to and it felt just like a comic book on the screen to me . . . and it had humor sprinkled throughout that kept the movie from being stale.

For those wondering the characters that make an appearance are : Thor, Odin, Loki, Heimdall, Laufey (King of the Frost Giants), Volstagg, Sif, Fandral, Frigga, S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Phil Coulson (from the Iron Man filems) & The Destroyer. Nick Fury also appears after the credits.

My only complaints about the Thor film and they are minor. First Volstagg wasn't fat enough . . . I like the guy that played him I just think he needed a little more belly fat which they could have done with costume effects. Secondly the battle with The Destroyer was pretty cool but wasn't epic enough. I could have used 5 more minutes of the fight to make it more awesome.

Thor worked well, it looked like a comic book, it felt like a comic book it had adventure and fun and built a character for the future of Marvel Comics movies and I'm happy with it.

Thanks for reading,
Kevin P. Johnson

Copyright © 2010 Kevin P. Johnson
Image is copyright © 2011 Marvel Studios and used as a Fair Use Review image only. Image will be removed upon the request of Marvel Studios.

No comments: